I Suck at Making Christmas Cookies
Sigh…it’s true. I’m not too shabby in the kitchen when it comes to making almost anything. I make the majority of my cakes from scratch, and I even, thanks to my wonderful mother-in-law, make homemade noodles. But for the LIFE of me, I cannot make cookies! They turn out resembling something like this “cookie” on the left. Flat. Way too crispy. My husband says I can’t even get it right when all I have to do is put the premade cookie dough on a cookie sheet and bake it. I’ve tried adding more
flour, less flour; more sugar, less sugar; more baking powder/soda, less baking powder/soda; changing the oven temperature and/or the placement of the rack in the oven. You name it, I’ve tried it. And still…I SUCK at making cookies. It makes me want to destroy things with my rolling pin!
But that doesn’t stop me from trying! And it doesn’t mean my cookies always taste horrible. Especially my cream cheese cut out cookies. They are heaven in your mouth! It’s just that instead of being able to roll my dough out nice and flat and use cookie cutters to make gorgeous cookies, like the gorgeous star cookie on the left, I end up with sticky dough that I drop in globs on the baking sheet, and they come out looking much like this disaster on the right. But they taste sooooo goooood! And here’s hoping you have better luck with this recipe than I do! Merry Christmas.
- 2 C softened butter
- 2 C sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 C flour
- 2 8-oz pkgs softened cream cheese
- 4 egg yolks (save the egg whites – you will use them later)
- Beat butter, cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Slowly mix in flour.
- Divide dough into 4 equal parts.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill until firm.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Roll out one package of dough to about 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut with cookie cutter.
- Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Beat egg whites with a fork and brush on unbaked cookies. If desired, add colored sprinkles. NOTE: I’ve omitted this step and prefer the cookies without brushing them with egg whites.
- Bake 10 minutes or until golden. This makes about 95 cookies – or about 60 if you make drop cookies like I end up having to do! LOL!
Good luck! Happy Holidays! Happy baking! Happy reading!