I’m addicted to Pinterest. I love looking at all the creative things people come up with. Some I am simply in awe of and some remind me that ‘hey, I can probably do that.’
And then I try.
Last week I saw this cute messenger bag made from a pair of cargo pants. Conveniently, my husband just threw out a couple pairs, so I thought why not give it a whirl.
The pattern I found used a floral fabric for a bias binding around the front cover, so I had to dig through my fabric stash for something to go with the khaki shorts I was going to cut up. As I was shuffling through the tubs, I found a pair of my son’s cargo pants with the knees worn out of them. I had intended to make them into Monster Jeans, but was confounded by the extent of the worn knees. I would have had to put a large patch behind the knees before tackling the monster face. But they had really cute pockets. My project switched from the shorts to these pants.
I cut out one of the leg pockets and one of the bum pockets, then found some scraps of yellow to use for lining and an additional pocket. The yellow had a small eyelet pattern, but the scraps were only the edges. Since it was going inside the purse, I said ‘oh well.’ Then I cut off the least worn leg to use as the main part of the purse and made a flap to go over the front. Things were going smoothly, except that I had to switch thread colors every time between yellow and blue. And for some reason when I pressed the yellow fabric, it smelled like gasoline. Hmm.
I stitched the bottom of the pant leg together and it looked pretty good. Then I ran out of time for the day and had to come back later. Thankfully it gave me time to think about what to do for a handle or strap. Since it was a smaller messenger bag, I thought it should have a longer strap, so you could wear it across your body. Problem: that would take a lot of piecing. I didn’t have any really long pieces of either the denim or the eyelet. My original thought was to make a tube with denim on one side and yellow on the other. Not a project I wanted to tackle, so it sat.
Then I decided I could use some nylon strapping that I had. No trying to flip a tube inside-out. Bonus. I just had to find it. While in my search I came across this crocheted piece that my mom made. She thought I could wear it as a scarf or necklace. That’s all we’ll say about that.
I stitched it to the bag, tied a knot in it because it stretches a lot and would hang down to my knees, and wala! the bag was done. It would be a great carrier for my Kindle.