I have seen several cute men’s shirt makeovers on Pinterest and on Craftster and in books, so when a hole wore in one of the sleeves of my husband’s work shirts, I knew I had a project.
I put the shirt on my dress dummy and started working on it. I was terrified of cutting anything so I pinned it and repinned it, before I got out the scissors. A
fter I finally cut out the skirt, I realized that I am much more comfortable working with a pattern and following directions than winging it.
I made the torso of the shirt into the skirt of a sundress and used the tops of the sleeves for the bodice. It was looking pretty good and figuring some things out as I went along wasn’t too bad until I put in the zipper. The sides didn’t line up and I had to take the front off, cut it smaller and sew it back on. Eventually I got everything together and it looked pretty good. I threw it in the wash. Thrilled that it didn’t fall apart, I went to iron it.
I haven’t used the steam function on my iron in a while. As soon as I moved it toward the fabric, it shot black, rusty chunks at the fabric. Of course it was right in the middle of the front. Three washes and a soak in Oxyclean later, the stains were almost invisible.
However, the gathering in the front had come loose. Sigh. I restitched it and ironed the dress again. I hung it in the closet, thinking this time it was really done.
I tried it on. When I redid the gathering, it changed the neckline. And it would look better, if I changed it. I guess I’m still not done.
* all the pictures are from before the incident with the steam iron. I think the neckline will be more of a V than the curves shown in the picture.